Sunday, January 4, 2015

Today's Challenge: Make the most of your life today by entering all four rooms of your proverbial "house."

Today's Quotation:

There is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four rooms--a physical, a mental, an emotional, and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person.

Rumer Godden

Today's Meditation:

As a child, it had never really occurred to me that there might be more to me than just the person I thought I was. But as I have grown older and learned more about myself and life, I have come to realize that who I am consists of many differing parts--and that if I simply try to improve one of these parts while neglecting the others, I generally fail in the long run.

Lasting change requires our lives to be in balance, our personhood to be in harmony with all our essential fibers of being. And if we "go into every room every day," we are sustaining that balance and making sure that we are aware of where we stand as far as these four elements of ourselves are concerned. Perhaps I have been at a spiritual low for the past few days. Without this awareness, I might not understand what is bringing me down, and I have no way of seeing that some spiritual nourishment may be all that is necessary. Maybe the stressful feelings of the last few days are the result of emotional turmoil. Again, unless I pay attention to my emotions, I will not be able to address the issues that are causing the turmoil, and those stressful feelings will continue.

Each day... open the doors to those rooms you rarely frequent. Open the curtains and let the light guide you, direct you, and strengthen you as it weakens those negative things that hate the light. Open the windows and add fresh air into what has otherwise become stagnant. In doing so, we serve to strengthen our inner selves and help ourselves to remain aware of all that is going on within us.

Today's Challenge: Make the most of your life today by entering all four rooms of your proverbial "house."

Questions to consider:

What do you see when you enter each room of your house--emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually? How often to you frequent each room?

What are some ways in which you can encourage yourself to work on improving upon all aspects of who you are?

Are there any other rooms in your "house" that you recognize?

For further thought:

Personal growth is a process of identifying the physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual changes we desire, and working in each area to improve and reach our fullest potential.

Dr. Christina Hibbert

No comments: